San Pablo Woman Burned Trying To Rescue Cat In House Fire

SAN PABLO (CBS SF) — A San Pablo woman suffered severe burns early Sunday morning when she re-entered a burning home to rescue a pet cat, fire officials said.

The fire was first reported at a residence at 2960 12th Street at about 2 a.m., according to the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District.

Arriving firefighters reported seeing heavy smoke and fire showing throughout the one-story home, officials said.

Three people were initially able to escape without being injured, but before firefighters arrived, a woman went back inside to try to rescue two pets, officials said.

The woman suffered severe burns and was taken to Doctors Medical Center. She was later transferred to Saint Francis Hospital Burn Center in San Francisco, officials said.

Firefighters were able to retrieve one cat, but a second died of smoke inhalation, officials said.

The fire was controlled in about 15 minutes and did not spread to neighboring structures.

The blaze, which caused an estimated $200,000 in damage, was likely ignited by an unattended candle in a bedroom, according to fire investigators.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live