PETALUMA (CBS SF) – A Petaluma firefighter was injured while fighting a fire that damaged a home on South McDowell Boulevard on Wednesday afternoon, a battalion chief said.

Thick black smoke was coming from the single-story home at 732 S. McDowell Blvd. when firefighters arrived at about 2 p.m., Petaluma fire Battalion Chief Jeff Holden said.

The firefighter was burned when he opened the garage door, which released large amounts of pressurized smoke and gases and caused a fireball to burst from the front of the garage, Holden said.

He was treated at Petaluma Valley Hospital for second-degree burns to his upper left arm and was released about an hour later, according to Holden.

The blaze, which appears to have been sparked by a discarded cigarette, caused $75,000 in damage to the residence and its contents, the battalion chief said.

It was controlled within 20 minutes, and destroyed the garage, caused severe damage to the kitchen and resulted in heat and smoke damage to much of the rest of the house, Holden said.

A dog was rescued from a back bedroom, and two cats are believed to have escaped the blaze, Holden said.

The residents, a mother, father and three children, were displaced but did not request housing assistance from the American Red Cross.

Cal Fire and the Rancho Adobe Fire Protection District also responded to the blaze.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
LIVE: Monday through Friday from 3am – 3pm PST

Watch & Listen LIVE