Cooking Fire In Homeless Camp Sparks Grass Fire In San Jose
SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — San Jose firefighters say a 5-acre vegetation fire on Communications Hill this afternoon was sparked by a cooking fire at a homeless encampment.
The fire was reported shortly after 1:45 p.m. on the east side of the hill not far from Hillcap and Hillsdale avenues, San Jose Fire Capt. Reggie Williams said.
Firefighters had difficulty accessing the fire, which was being driven by the wind, Williams said. A Cal Fire helicopter was called in for assistance, and the fire was reported under control just after 3:30 p.m.
No structures were endangered or damaged by the fire, and no injuries were reported.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)