6 Accused Of Embezzling Millions From SF Schools
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS/AP) – Six current and former San Francisco school district employees are facing charges that they embezzled some $15 million in grant money from the district.
District Attorney George Gascon and Schools Superintendent Richard Carranza announced the felony grand theft and embezzlement charges on Tuesday. Prosecutors said the six diverted the federal and state grant money into hidden slush fund accounts through several nonprofits over a 10-year period.
Nearly $750,000 was allegedly used for personal expenses and unauthorized salaries and bonuses. Prosecutors said much of the remainder went toward educational purposes, but not for what was specifically intended.
Gascon said about $4.7 million of the grant money has been recovered so far. The investigation is continuing.
Among those facing charges are a former associate superintendent and two former senior executives.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)