Tree Trimmer Electrocuted While Working At San Jose Home
SAN JOSE (CBS SF) – A man who was hired to trim trees at a South San Jose home died when he was electrocuted late Wednesday morning, a California Division of Occupational Safety and Health spokesman said.
The incident occurred at about 11:45 a.m. at a home in the 2600 block of McLaughlin Avenue.
A preliminary investigation indicated that the worker, identified as 52-year-old Guadalupe Arteaga of San Jose, was climbing on branches over an energized power line when a safety rope fell onto the active line around 11:45 a.m., Cal/OSHA spokesman Greg Siggins said.
The rope acted as a conduit, carrying the electrical current to Arteaga. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Arteaga was working for Lupe’s Tree Service and Landscaping, Siggins said.
Cal/OSHA is continuing to investigate the death, he said.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)