Oakland Reaches Million Dollar Settlement With Group Of Occupy Protesters

OAKLAND (CBS/AP) — The Oakland City Council has agreed to pay more than $1 million to settle a lawsuit filed by a dozen Occupy Oakland protesters who said they were the victims of excessive force during clashes with police during a protest in 2011.

The $1.17 million payout follows criticism by outside experts who said the Oakland Police Department was understaffed and not prepared to deal with the demonstrations.

The agreement requires police to adhere to their crowd-control policies.

Two plaintiffs, Suzi Spangenberg and Sukay Sow, who said they were injured by flashbang grenades thrown by officers will get $500,000 and $210,000, respectively. Sow said she suffered a second-degree chemical burn on her foot during the clash at a City Hall camp.

(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2013/12/11/oakland-settles-with-occupy-protester-iraq-war-vet-for-645000/ Oakland Settles With Occupy Protester, Iraq War Vet For $645,000 « CBS San Francisco

    […] city had previously awarded a group of 12 Occupy Oakland protesters a $1.17 million settlement last summer, in a claim filed for police misconduct during the […]

blog comments powered by Disqus
Guide To The Holidays
Shine A Light On The Holiday Season With ‘Giving Tuesday’

Listen Live