SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – The long-awaited changeover from the old eastern span of the Bay Bridge to the newly-constructed suspension will force a 5-day closure leading up the anticipated September 3 opening. The Bay Bridge will be closed from 8 p.m. Wednesday evening, August 28, through 5 a.m. Tuesday morning. So what alternatives to commuters have over Labor Day weekend?
The Transit officials are urging anyone who can to avoid freeway commutes in favor of public transit. Several agencies will be enhancing or altering service to accommodate the changeover. Below is a list of the highlights:
- BART will operate limited around the clock service to 14 stations (See Map & Times Here) on an hourly basis.
- AC Transit will re-route transbay passengers to drop off and pick up points at the McArthur BART station (Map).
- San Francisco Muni will temporarily discontinue all transbay service, other than the 108 line to Treasure Island.
- Westcat will reroute all buses to the transbay service to the El Cerrito Del Norte BART station.
- San Francisco Bay Ferry will offer an additional trip from Oakland, Alameda, Alameda-Harbor Bay, and Vallejo.
- Larkspur Ferry will have an added late-night round trip on Friday, along with added trips to the Weekend/Holiday schedules. Monday will be on the regular Weekend/Holiday schedule
- Sausalito Ferry will have added service on Saturday, Sunday and Monday
- Golden Gate Transit, SamTrans, Caltrain, LAVTA, CCCTA, TriDelta plan to operate normally during the closure.
- Additional transit information and updates available through 511.org
For those using alternate roadways, the San Mateo and Richmond San Rafael/Golden Gate routes are likely to experience heavy traffic. Get complete KCBS road conditions on our Traffic page and, of course, listen to KCBS All News 740 AM & FM 106.9 while on the go for the latest traffic updates.
Editor’s note: If you’d like KCBS to send you a text alert when they announce the exact time of the opening of the new span, since it could happen earlier or later than expected, text the word ‘alert’ to 45227.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)