SANTA CRUZ (CBS SF) — A man was severely burned during an explosion that occurred while manufacturing butane hash oil in a residence in Santa Cruz on Wednesday afternoon, police and fire officials said.
About 1:24 p.m. on Wednesday fire officials responded to a report of an explosion in the 100 block of Walk Circle, near Delaware Avenue.
Witnesses reported the explosion and told police they saw a badly burned male occupant drive away from the home shortly thereafter, police said.
Upon arrival, firefighters found light smoke coming from the residence and the front windows blown out.
Fire crews turned off all electricity and gas to the building before making entry.
According to fire officials, there was no fire inside the building, but remnants of a large explosion were evident.
Signs of intense heat were found in the bathroom. Damage to walls, doors and windows were also evident, fire officials said.
The building was not occupied when firefighters arrived on scene.
According to fire officials, a 29-year-old male occupant of the residence had already left the scene and was headed to Dominican Hospital with his girlfriend prior to the arrival of firefighters.
The occupant had sustained significant burns and was flown to a Bay Area trauma center for medical treatment, fire officials said.
Two dogs with burns from the explosion were removed from the property, police said.
The cause of the explosion was determined to be a result of the use of butane while manufacturing hash oil inside the bathroom of the residence, according to fire officials.
Police found a large quantity of marijuana and over a dozen butane canisters in the bathroom.
Santa Cruz police were continuing to investigate the explosion.
According to the Santa Cruz Police Department, this explosion was the second caused by butane hash oil production in Santa Cruz in the last 10 days.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)