MOUNTAIN VIEW (KCBS)— The Environmental Protection Agency will hold a community meeting Tuesday night in Mountain View to talk about the discovery of toxins in the ground that were found in a neighborhood west of Highway 101 near Moffet Field.
The chemicals were found at the 200 block of Evandale where Trichloroethylene (TCE) levels in the ground water were measured as high as 130,000 parts per billion.
TCE is a nonflammable, colorless liquid commonly used as a degreasing agent, but had also been used in the dry-cleaning industry.
“You can see some of the markings in the street where they’ve drilled into the street and the EPA has been down here testing the ground water for the better part of a year now,” said resident Matt Granado.
Like many of his neighbors, Granado is concerned and is considering moving.
“We’ve actually looked at several places. Housing prices in the Bay Area as they are, it’s tough to make a move. So, in the long term, we’re trying to,” he said.
So far EPA officials have said testing shows the water and air in the area are safe, yet many residents remain unconvinced.
Tuesday night’s community meeting is at 7 p.m. at 157 Moffet Boulevard.
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)