Preliminary Report On Mission Bay Fire Points To ‘Smoldering Object’ As Cauuse
SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) — The fire that destroyed a six-story apartment project in San Francisco’s Mission Bay neighborhood last month started accidentally, according to a preliminary report released Tuesday morning by the San Francisco Fire Department.
The reports states that what quickly grew to a 5-alarm fire on March 11 started with some kind of hot or smoldering object located somewhere between the roof and the top floor of the wood-frame building.
Mindy Talmadge, spokeswoman for the San Francisco Fire Department, said fire investigators are still trying to determine exactly what that smoldering object might have been.
The fire in the 1200 block of Fourth Street near the UCSF Mission Bay campus also damaged another nearby building at 555 Mission Rock Street.
Two firefighters were hurt in the hours-long battle against the blaze.