Milpitas Man Convicted Of Hiring Men To Brutally Attack His Ex-Wife Who Was Left Disfigured
Get Breaking News First
Trending Stories On CBS SF
Wildfire In Northern California Town Of Weed Burns 100 Homes, At Least 1,500 Evacuated
Hurricane Odile Slams Into Mexico’s Baja California Peninsula Near Cabo San Lucas
Notorious Ex-Cocaine Kingpin George Jung Out of Prison, Living In San Francisco
What Was That Strange Streak Of Light In The Bay Area Sky Friday Morning?
Mysterious Men Dropping From Helicopters To Chop Down NorCal Marijuana Grows
HAYWARD (CBS SF) — A Milpitas man was convicted of aggravated mayhem Tuesday for hiring three other men to brutally attack his ex-wife in front of her home in Fremont last year, prosecutors said.
Rakesh Paul Singh, 55, also was convicted of conspiracy to commit mayhem for the assault in the 43700 block of Greenhillis Way in Fremont at about 9 a.m. on Feb. 11, 2013, prosecutor Charles Wilson said.
Singh, who worked as a travel agent, faces at least seven years to life in state prison when Alameda County Superior Court Judge Morris Jacobson sentences him on June 2.
Fremont police said Singh’s ex-wife was getting into her car when two men approached and attacked her from behind.
One of the men struck her in the face with a large wooden mallet while the other man punched her in the back of the head, police said.
Singh’s ex-wife was transported to a hospital, where she received numerous stitches for major lacerations to her face, neck and ears, according to police.
Wilson said, “She has lacerations on the left and right sides of her face that will be permanent and that was his (Singh’s) goal. He wanted to disfigure her face and that part of his plan was successful.”
Although Singh and his ex-wife were divorced, they still had occasional contact with each other and he was upset that she wouldn’t agree to re-establish her relationship with him, the prosecutor said.
The three men who Singh hired to attack his ex-wife previously pleaded no contest to mayhem and one of them testified against Singh, Wilson said.
Their plea agreements call for Donald Harbaugh, 55, to be sentenced to 13 years in state prison, Morris Kurtz, 53, to get 9 years and Ricardo Rivera, 28, who helped plan the attack, to get 8 years.
Harbaugh and Kurtz were scheduled to be sentenced on June 9 and Rivera is scheduled to be sentenced on June 10.
Singh’s attorney, Michael Cardoza, couldn’t be reached for comment.
© Copyright 2014 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.