Notorious Ex-Cocaine Kingpin George Jung Out of Prison, Living In San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A man so notorious a movie was made about his life just walked out of prison.
Former cocaine kingpin George Jung is now in San Francisco where he will finish serving his sentence.
You might not know the name George Jung at first, but perhaps this will jog your memory.
In the 2001 film Blow, Johnny Depp portrays Jung, a notorious drug smuggler.
420’s Founding Fathers: Marin Men Reflect On Their 1970’s Code For Pot That Went Global
Jung spent the past 20 years behind bars but TMZ spotted him at San Francisco International Airport.
They asked him what was his first meal when he got out of prison.
“Clam chowder,” said Jung.
TMZ said Jung will be living in a San Francisco halfway house.
“Life’s a rodeo and all you have to do is stay in the saddle,” Jung told TMZ. “I’m back in the saddle again.”
Just like that, the man responsible for 85% of the cocaine smuggled into the United States in the 1970s and 80s walked out of SFO, a free man.
As a cocaine kingpin, Jung specialized in smuggling drugs from Colombia. The feds finally arrested him in 1994 after catching him with almost a ton of cocaine in Kansas.
Jung was originally sentenced to 60 years in prison but got a reduced sentence after testifying against his former accomplice.
Time will tell whether the guy nicknamed ‘Boston George’ be able to stay clean here in San Francisco.
UPDATE: First Interview With George Jung
Extended interview, Part 1 of 2
Extended interview, Part 2 of 2
COMMENT OR SHARE VIA FACEBOOK
- Flooding In Texas, Oklahoma Fueling Hope That California’s Drought Will Soon End
- CHP Lieutenant Identified As Scuba Diver Who Died Off Sonoma County Coast
- Warriors Stumble In Game 4, Head Back To Oakland For Game 5 Against Rockets In Western Conference Finals
- Richmond Apprenticeship Program Helping Turn Gang Members Into Productive Members Of Society Around The Bay
- Stephen Curry Returns To Game After Suffering Head Injury In Western Conference Finals Against Rockets