Fireworks Blow Off Hands, Fingers Of 3 Southbay Men
SAN JOSE (CBS) — Fireworks caused serious injuries to 3 Southbay men Friday night.
A man in East San Jose lost both his hands Friday night when a firework he was holding exploded prematurely. In Sunnyvale, two men lost their fingers when a firework blew them off.
The first incident occurred around 9 p.m. in the 1300 block of Leeward Drive, near Cassel Park. San Jose Police said the victim was igniting illegal fireworks as family members watched. The explosion blew off both of his hands. He is expected to survive.
Sunnyvale authorities said a patrol officer saw and heard an explosion just before 10 p.m. at an apartment complex in the 700 block of East Duane Avenue. The 2 victims had been trying to ignite a mortar-type firework when it went off in their hands. On man lost several fingers from his left hand and fingertips off his right hand. The other was missing part of his right hand.
Both were taken to a nearby hospital. There is no word as to their condition.