SANTA CLARA (CBS SF) — A long line of Native Americans chanted as they marched to Levi’s Stadium before Sunday’s 49ers game.
The demonstration centers on the Washington team’s mascot.
They say it uses the term “Redskin” which Native Americans find offensive and racist.
“What the R-word represents is the state-sponsored genocide that was imposed by the State of California that paid 25 cents for our scalps back in the 1850’s,” protest organizer Morning Star Gali said.
But, some fans of the team disagree with the protesters.
“You’re putting the team, the name, on a pedestal, right? I love the team, so how is that racist?” Redskins fan Wade Head said.
- Viral Video Of Texas Road Rage Incident Gets ‘Star Wars’ Treatment
- Kim Kardashian-West Talks Sexuality, Family Life, Caitlyn Jenner In San Francisco Commonwealth Club Interview
- N. California Woman Seeks Couple She Snapped Getting Engaged On The Eiffel Tower
- ‘Jimmy Kimmel’ Goes To Oakland For Warriors Edition Of ‘Lie Witness News’
- ‘Roaracle’ Is The Loudest NBA Arena, But Could All That Noise Affect Your Hearing?
- Watch Stephen Curry Rapping As A College Student In Recently Uncovered Video