Electrocuted Squirrel Knocks Out Power To 5,000 In Castro Valley

CASTRO VALLEY (CBS SF) — Nearly 5,000 utility customers lost electrical service for roughly 90 minutes Thursday afternoon when a squirrel caused a power outage in the Castro Valley area of unincorporated Alameda County, according to PG&E.

The outage was first reported at 12:18 p.m. in the vicinity of North Fifth and Kipling streets.

Utility personnel were able to fully restore service to roughly 4,800 affected customers around 1:45 p.m.

They determined that the outage had been caused by a squirrel that made contact with electrical equipment.

“Animals, especially rodents and birds, do come into contact with our wires and equipment,” PG&E spokeswoman Tamar Sarkissian said. “It’s risky for them and it can cause reliability issues for our customers.”

PG&E has animal guards in place to prevent incidents like this, including a plastic device that clamps over fuses to prevent birds and rodents from making contact as well as insulated rubber hoses that go over wires to prevent animals from chewing through, Sarkissian said.

The utility also retrofits roughly 2,000 power poles per year with protective measures for birds, according to Sarkissian.

© Copyright 2016 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Comments

One Comment

  1. tn says:

    Sure was a squirrely little rascal…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live