MENLO PARK (CBS SF) — Emergency officials from Menlo Park have resolved an incident that residents were concerned involved hazardous materials near a veterans health care facility, San Mateo County emergency officials reported Wednesday afternoon.
Crews responded to the scene at a building located at 605 Willow Road near the Palo Alto Veteran Affairs health care facility at 11:46 a.m. late Wednesday morning.
According to media reports, cleaning crews at a neighboring residential facility for veterans were overcome by fumes emanating from a cabinet after entering an apartment.
As of about 2:30 p.m., hazardous materials crews were still at the scene with an area cordoned off by Menlo Park police and fire.
HazMat crew did a complete sweep of the apartment, according to the Menlo Park Fire department. They were able to deem the apartment safe and not a threat to the residents nearby.
While crews didn’t come to any conclusive answer to what the smell was from, fire personnel said their best guess is that there was a mixture of cleaning fluids that combined to create a strong odor that made residents feel sick.