Students Rising Above
Our Featured Students
- Gay, Latino Santa Rosa Student Overcomes Adversity To Become 1st In His Family To Attend College SANTA ROSA (CBS SF) -- During his lunch break at Roseland University Prep in Santa Rosa, Regino Rodriguez meets with the Social Justice Club. He has a lot to share. He is Latino and comes from a low-income family. He lives with seven other people in...
- Alumni At Oakland's Fremont High Help Fill In The Gaps The books and papers sit in stacks on the floor in the library at Fremont High in East Oakland, while many of the shelves are empty. It’s been shut down for more than six years.
- With Her Homelessness Kept Secret, Peninsula Student Now First In Her Family To Attend College The odds were stacked against her: family health problems, homelessness. But Bay Area teen Sabrina Avalos is finding a way to overcome -- and thrive.
- Family Setbacks Won't Stop Star Student Edward Nguyen From Being A Success What had been a crisis turned into a liberating experience for Edward Nguyen.
- San Rafael Teen Worked Full-Time At McDonald's To Support Himself Seventeen-year-old Olman Lopez is financially on his own. No welfare and no support from his parents. He's been working at McDonald's full time since he was 15.