Students Rising Above
Our Featured Students
- SF Man Is Family's 1st College Graduate After Overcoming Troubled Childhood (KPIX 5) -- During commencement ceremonies at Portland's Lewis & Clark College, Joe Williams did something no one in his family had ever done before. He graduated from college. The dignitaries called his name, and he walked across the stage to...
- Honors Student Sees Past Violence, Poverty To Lift Up Her East Palo Alto Community A honors student from East Palo Alto has seen violence, poverty and drug abuse ravage her city, but she part of the city's resurgence and revival.
- Tragedy, Hardship Overcome By Oakland Student On Way To College Work, commitment, and the example of other family members have helped an Oakland high school student overcome hardship and tragedy to become a top scholar headed to college.
- Former Homeless Student Earns Master's, Works To Help Others Moving day is a thrill for any first time homebuyer, but for someone who was once homeless, it is much more than that.
- Oakland Engineer, Rising Star Overcomes Lack Of Parental, Financial Support An Boeing engineer from Oakland who benefited from the Students Rising Above program described his challenging upbringing at the group's recent fundraiser.