Students Rising Above
Our Featured Students
- East Bay Student Becomes Coding Whiz After Tough Childhood Technology is more than a hobby for Abel Regalado. It’s his salvation.
- From Top Student To Rock Bottom, Richmond Teen Now Back On Road To Success Only a few years ago, Richmond's John F. Kennedy High School student Alejandra Pulido didn’t even give college a thought. But now she tells us, “a lot has changed,” which is no understatement.
- Oakland Teen Emerges From Abuse, Homelessness To Become Honor Student A teenager who endured years of abuse, a broken family and homelessness has left her past behind and is now envisioning a future full of possibilities.
- Family Dream Carries Immigrant Through Hardship To UC Santa Cruz Diploma She didn’t speak any English when she arrived in the Bay Area at the age of 14. Through many hardships, including poverty and isolation, Ana Avalos has become the first in her family to graduate from college.
- Cal Grad Student, Victim Of Broken Home, Now Child Social Welfare Specialist Sophie is in a unique position for the work that she does. She supports many young people who, like her, come from broken families.