Students Rising Above
Our Featured Students
- Bay Area Students Turning Life's Hardships Into Academic Excellence 90 percent of our Students Rising Above scholars graduate college within four-and-a-half years. Here's an update on two students are on their way to that success: Tommy Saephan and Damont Hardnett.
- Still Rising: Bay Area Students Continue Overcoming Long Odds It’s a new year and a good time to check in on three of our rising stars who are now in college: one who had to work full-time to support himself, another who rose above homelessness, and a third who talked himself out of suicide after coming out.
- Orphaned Refugee From Central America Becomes San Jose Attorney Students Rising Above alumnus Hector Rodriguez, who came to the U.S. as an orphan, is now officially an attorney at law, recently having passed the California bar exam.
- Oakland Teen Takes Charge Of Family Amid Crises, Continues To Excel In School From taking care of her cancer-stricken mother, to raising her siblings, to performing household chores normally done by a parent, an Oakland high school student is amazing and inspiring to those around her.
- Redwood City Teen Overcomes Bullying To Help Other Victims Julissa Cruz Guitierrez looks confident and in control as she and her team partner stand in front of their AP Government class, leading a discussion.