Students Rising Above
Our Featured Students
- Students Learn Leadership Skills In SF City Internship Program Two Students Rising Above participants are finding out the inner workings of city government and critical leadership skills through a unique college intership program.
- East Oakland Student Writing Her Own Story After A Challenging Childhood It takes some imagination to write a story involving a catapult. That was the assignment the day as we visited 826 Valencia, the storied non-profit that teaches low-income kids how to write.
- Bay Area Student Overcomes Broken Family Scars To Graduate, Enter Workforce First impressions can often tell a lot about a person. In Jessamine Zamora’s case however, the first impression she made on her soon-to-be supervisor told only half her story.
- Bay Area Student Rebounds From Family Strife, Scholarship Loss; Diploma Now In Sight A Bay Area student who appeared to have his college dreams shattered has overcome the loss of his university scholarship and is months away from being the first in his family to graduate from college.
- East Bay Student Overcomes Years Of Hardship To Become Family's 1st College Grad Raymone Lacy made history for his family in 2016, becoming the first to graduate from college - and not just any college, but the University of California, Berkeley. His degree is in Media Studies, but his accomplishment is much more significant than...