Students Rising Above
Our Featured Students
- Bay Area Student Overcomes Broken Family Scars To Graduate, Enter Workforce First impressions can often tell a lot about a person. In Jessamine Zamora’s case however, the first impression she made on her soon-to-be supervisor told only half her story.
- Bay Area Student Rebounds From Family Strife, Scholarship Loss; Diploma Now In Sight A Bay Area student who appeared to have his college dreams shattered has overcome the loss of his university scholarship and is months away from being the first in his family to graduate from college.
- East Bay Student Overcomes Years Of Hardship To Become Family's 1st College Grad Raymone Lacy made history for his family in 2016, becoming the first to graduate from college - and not just any college, but the University of California, Berkeley. His degree is in Media Studies, but his accomplishment is much more significant than...
- SF Man Is Family's 1st College Graduate After Overcoming Troubled Childhood (KPIX 5) -- During commencement ceremonies at Portland's Lewis & Clark College, Joe Williams did something no one in his family had ever done before. He graduated from college. The dignitaries called his name, and he walked across the stage to...
- Honors Student Sees Past Violence, Poverty To Lift Up Her East Palo Alto Community A honors student from East Palo Alto has seen violence, poverty and drug abuse ravage her city, but she part of the city's resurgence and revival.