Students Rising Above
Our Featured Students
- Berkeley Teen Manages Ailing Mother, Household, In Addition To Being Standout Student Most parents know how hard it is to get a fourth-grader to clean their room. But what if they had to clean the whole house, cook, and take care of an invalid parent? That is what happened to Brenda Vasquez, a Student Rising Above who is a senior now...
- Former Student Describes Success Journey With SRA 10 Years Later When we first met Walid Zafar ten years ago, he was a senior at Encinal High School in Alameda. He was a conscientious honor student on his way to the University of Puget Sound in Washington state.
- Children Who View Domestic Abuse More Likely To Bully, Fight, Lie, Cheat A growing body of research shows that children don’t have to be abused themselves to suffer the consequences of domestic violence.
- Troubling Statistics For African-American Males In The Classroom Young African American men are falling behind their peers in the classroom.
- Oakland Teen Overcomes Post-Traumatic Stress, Heads To College The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports that 30% of inner-city children suffer PTSD. Donza Pitre may be one of the few who was actually treated for it, after she was diagnosed at about 13 years of age.