Students Rising Above
Our Featured Students
- Bay Area Teens Overcome Poverty, Hardship On Way College Education 100 percent of the teenagers in the Students Rising Above program are graduating and headed to college. Here are three of their stories.
- Student Overcomes Drug-Ravaged Home, Absent Parents To Graduate From UC Berkeley Graduating from the University of California, Berkeley is not just an academic accomplishment or simply a milestone. For Char’Leen Craner, it is a life event she made happen with willpower and grit.
- Berkeley Woman Attains Degrees From Boalt Law School, Yale Following Childhood In Multiple Foster Homes After moving through seven or eight foster homes as a child, Lily Eagle Colby is graduating from UC Berkeley's Boalt Law School, and already has a degree from Yale.
- Richmond Teen Had To Grow Up Fast, Fighting Poverty To Excel At School - And Life Precious Jacques is a star student at Pinole Valley High. At school, her teachers see a talented pupil with a bright future but her home life has been anything but easy.
- San Rafael Student's Journey To Graduation Began In Guatemala With Her Mother's Murder Deborah "Gaby" Gonzalez is set to begin classes at Brandeis University this fall but her remarkable story began in poverty and violence in her native Guatemala.