The recreational Dungeness crab fishery opened Saturday and the commercial season is coming soon, according to the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
Crab fisherman north of Sonoma County cannot head to sea until the end of the month because the Dungeness crab population is still too small to harvest.
Dozens of Bay Area crab boats are preparing to head out to sea again after a weeklong standoff over the price of fresh Dungeness crab ended Tuesday, an industry spokesman said.
Dungeness crab boats in the fishing ports of San Francisco, Half Moon Bay and Bodega Bay were idle for a sixth day because of a price dispute.
Crab fishing boats sat idle at Fisherman’s Wharf Thursday as crab boats in San Francisco, Bodega Bay and Half Moon Bay stayed at the dock because of a threat to cut Dungeness prices.
Commercial crab fishermen are gearing up for Thursday’s opening of crab season, with vessels large and small starting to assemble pots at Pillar Point Harbor in Half Moon Bay and along the Bay Area coast to catch Dungeness crabs.
More than 400 pounds of fresh fish and crab was stolen over the weekend from a fishery at Pillar Point Harbor in San Mateo County, sheriff’s officials said.
49-year-old James Allshouse died on Monday off the San Mateo County coast after being pulled overboard by tangled ropes.
The crab season has finally arrived, but local fishermen say the initial catch is down from last year’s record-setting harvest.
After weeks of haggling over a price, central California crab fishermen and seafood processors have come to an agreement and the 2011 Dungeness season is underway.