HAYWARD (CBS SF) — Unattended cooking caused a fire in a Hayward apartment late Thursday night that prompted three people, including a 3-year-old boy, to escape via a second-story window, a fire department spokesman said Friday.
Three people jumped to safety and a 3-year-old child was thrown from a second-floor window to a neighbor on the ground during a fire at a Hayward apartment late Thursday night, a spokesman said.READ MORE: South Bay Congressman Welcomes Afghan Refugees Arriving in Fremont
Crews responded to multiple reports of a fire in the 22000 block of Seventh Street just before 11 p.m. Thursday, Hayward fire spokesman Don Nichelson said.
Arriving firefighters located heavy smoke and fire coming from a top floor apartment of a two-story, four-unit building, Nichelson said.
Nichelson said five residents were in the home when the fire broke out.
Three adults had to jump from a bedroom window to the ground about 25 feet down. A 3-year-old child was thrown from the window and was caught by a neighbor waiting below, according to Nichelson.
The child, Maurice Muccular, was transported to a hospital for evaluation but was uninjured. Two adults were injured from the jump. The extent of their injuries was not immediately available.
Maurice told KPIX 5 he was ok and had “just jumped from the window.”
No other injuries were reported.READ MORE: 4.3 Magnitude Earthquake Strikes Near Los Angeles
The fire, which originated in the kitchen, was knocked down at about 11:15 p.m.
Nichelson said the apartment was a total loss. The three other apartments in the building sustained smoke and water damage but were salvageable.