SANTA ROSA (CBS SF) — Three apartment residents were displaced early Friday morning by a fire that might have been started by an unattended candle, a Santa Rosa Fire Department battalion chief said.

The occupants of the apartment in the duplex at 801 Brigham Ave. near the Sonoma County Fairgrounds escaped the fire through a rear door. Occupants of an apartment next door fled through the front door next to the burning apartment, Battalion Chief Jack Piccinini said.

Santa Rosa and Rincon Valley firefighters who arrived within four minutes of the fire alarm at 12:33 a.m. found heavy fire from the apartment spreading to the attic, Piccinini said.

A fallen power line presented a hazard, but firefighters knocked down the blaze and keep it out of the attic and the adjoining apartment, Piccinini said. The blaze was under control within 15 minutes.

The Red Cross arranged temporary housing for the displaced residents. The fire caused $150,000 damage and the cause is possibly an unattended candle, Piccinini said.

© Copyright 2014 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed