SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick said Thursday that he has been fined $10,000 by the NFL for the pink “Beats by Dre” brand name headphones he wore around his neck after Sunday’s game.
While Kaepernick has an endorsement deal with Beats and has done a commercial, the league’s contract is with Bose. Wearing the pink version for October breast cancer awareness month, Kaepernick knew he could be subject to a fine after the 22-17 win Sunday.
Yet it’s more than the $8,286 fine the Broncos’ Julius Thomas faces for a chop block on Cardinals defensive end Calais Campbell.
Kaepernick later took to Twitter to explain his decision and posted a photo of him with the headphones: “I support breast cancer awareness! My grandma is a survivor!”
He declined to say whether Beats would pick up the cost of his fine, saying, “we’ll let that be unanswered.”
Last month, Kaepernick announced he had been fined more than $11,000 and had appealed the penalty for what an official called “inappropriate language” by the quarterback following a fourth-quarter interception in a 28-20 loss to the Bears in the Sept. 14 home opener.
Kaepernick reiterated that he did nothing wrong when he and Chicago defensive end Lamarr Houston went at it—and Kaepernick pointed to Houston’s comments that the quarterback didn’t say anything offensive or out of line. Kaepernick shoved Houston.
In early June, Kaepernick—one of the NFL’s most dynamic young playcallers—received a $126 million, six-year contract extension that keeps him with the organization through the 2020 season. The deal includes $61 million in guaranteed money.
The sides had made it a top priority to get a deal done before the start of training camp.
- Viral Video Of Texas Road Rage Incident Gets ‘Star Wars’ Treatment
- Kim Kardashian-West Talks Sexuality, Family Life, Caitlyn Jenner In San Francisco Commonwealth Club Interview
- N. California Woman Seeks Couple She Snapped Getting Engaged On The Eiffel Tower
- ‘Jimmy Kimmel’ Goes To Oakland For Warriors Edition Of ‘Lie Witness News’
- ‘Roaracle’ Is The Loudest NBA Arena, But Could All That Noise Affect Your Hearing?
- Watch Stephen Curry Rapping As A College Student In Recently Uncovered Video
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.