DUBLIN (CBS SF)_ A former Livermore golf instructor was sentenced by a judge Thursday to 27 years in state prison for sexually abusing three boys he was teaching and then trying to solicit someone to murder them.

Andrew Nisbet, 32, had faced a total of 75 felony counts for allegedly abusing the boys as well as three felony counts of solicitation of murder for allegedly trying to hire a hit man to murder two of his victims in his case after he was in jail.

But on Sept. 11, he pleaded guilty to seven felony counts in a plea bargain with the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office — one count each of forcible oral copulation and possession of child pornography, two counts of lewd and lascivious conduct with a minor and three counts of solicitation of murder.

Nisbet was arrested last Dec. 7, shortly before he was to receive the 2013 Junior Golf Leader Award from the PGA’s Northern California Section.

PGA officials cited Nisbet “for his dedication and leadership in developing a wealth of exciting and educational golf programs for juniors.”

Nisbet taught at the Las Positas Golf Course in Livermore and helped plan and run the U.S. Kids Golf World Championships in Pinehurst, North Carolina.

Nisbet was charged with the solicitation of murder counts earlier this year for allegedly trying to hire a hit man to murder two of the three victims in his case, according to Assistant District Attorney Teresa Drenick.

Alameda County District Attorney Inspector Jeff McCort said in a probable cause statement that Nisbet wrote letters from his cell at the Santa Rita Jail in Dublin expressing interest in having the boys “taken care of.”

Authorities learned of the alleged plot on Feb. 25 when a confidential informant brought them to the attention of a sheriff’s deputy at the jail, according to McCort.

In March, a district attorney’s inspector who posed as a hit man visited Nisbet in jail in a meeting that was secretly recorded, prosecutors said.

McCort said that during the jail conversation, Nisbet indicated that he was serious about trying to have the boys killed.

The family of the three boys called the sentence inadequate. The prosecutor read four letters from the families of two of the victims that said the boys were still traumatized and that Nisbet should be in prison for much longer.

Nisbet must serve 85-percent of his sentence and is barred from contacting his victims for 10 years.

TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.

Comments