REDWOOD CITY (KPIX 5) — More than 50 attendees attending an NAACP gala in Redwood City Saturday evening were sickened by a case of possible food poisoning.
At least twelve people were taken to local hospitals and treated for dehydration, according to the San Jose Mercury News. Several others transported themselves to hospitals.READ MORE: Gov. Newsom Signs Executive Order to Halt Pandemic Evictions Through June
Cynthia Adams, 2nd vice president of the Oakland NAACP, told KPIX 5 there may be as 100 people who became ill. The official said that she had to transport half a dozen kids to the hospital, and at least one of them is still hospitalized late Tuesday night.
Adams said among those hospitalized include former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris.
More than 300 people attended the event, including former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown, which was held at the grand ballroom of the Sofitel San Francisco Bay Hotel in Redwood City.READ MORE: Armed Guards, Volunteers Join Police to Patrol Streets in Oakland's Chinatown
- TSA Finds Cannon In Checked Bags
- Guide Goes On Racist Tirade To Bus Full Of Tourists
- Uninhabitable Palo Alto Home Selling For $1.8 Million
Guests became sick after a meal of salmon and salad, and reportedly were throwing up in the hotel lobby while firefighters and paramedics treated others.
Public health officials were investigating the source of the illness.
Sandra Pinto Duhamel of Accor Hotels, which operates the Sofitel, said in a statement, “While we do not know the cause of the illness, we are cooperating with Health Department officials at this time. We remain very concerned about the well-being of the guests who became sick and wish them a speedy recovery.”MORE NEWS: COVID: California Moves to Boost Vaccinations in Underserved Communities - 'We Have To Be Bolder'
[display-posts category=”trending” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”6″]