LOS ANGELES (CBS/AP) — California says an active earthquake fault runs through the site of the largest planned development in Hollywood history.
A final map released Thursday by the California Geological Survey shows the fault running through a southern portion of Millennium Hollywood. The project includes 39-story and 35-story skyscrapers that would dwarf existing buildings.READ MORE: Trevor Noah To Host 'The 64th Annual GRAMMY Awards' On CBS
The state says the fault has moved within the last 11,000 years—making it active.
The City Council approved the project last year but opponents say it’s a safety risk. The city’s building and safety department has the final say.READ MORE: 'Video Music Box' Founder, Hip Hop Influencer Ralph McDaniels Shares His Journey In New Showtime Documentary: 'This Music Is Really Powerful'
The developer, Millennium Partners, found an inactive fault in its own testing but Tim McCrink of the Geological Survey says it’s not the same fault.
The developer says it’s committed to meeting the highest earthquake safety standards.
[display-posts category=”trending” wrapper=”ul” posts_per_page=”6″]MORE NEWS: UPDATE: San Jose Homicide Suspects Released Without Posting Bail; Cops Tweet 'The System Has Failed'
© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.