HALF MOON BAY (KCBS) — It’s that time of year again when some of the world’s best big-wave surfers start making plans to head to Half Moon Bay to take part in the annual Maverick’s invitational surf contest.
The surf contest window opened on Thursday and the contest could be called any time until March 31.READ MORE: VIDEO: San Francisco Police Break Up Early Morning Sideshow in Rincon Hill
Participants, this year, will notice some changes.
Firstly, the title of the event has changed; it’s now called the “Titans of Mavericks” and it’s also under new ownership of Cartel Management, a Los Angeles-based firm.
At press conference one Tuesday, Cartel announced that there would be no spectator festival held along with the contest this year.
The festival, which started in 2012, was successful in drawing ticket sales—about 15,000 people reportedly attended in 2013. But there has also been many problems—including live video feeds that would often fail—causing last year’s ticket sales to plummet.
The Half Moon Bay Review reported that Cartel, which just purchased Mavericks in July, decided there wasn’t enough time to organize the festival and said better designed events would happen in the future.
Meanwhile, surfer Grant Washburn told KCBS that this year’s competition could begin at any time.READ MORE: Light Showers Forecast For North Bay With Chance of Sprinkles Further South
LISTEN TO ENTIRE INTERVIEW: