UPDATE 1:45 p.m.: Chicago Bears Cut Ray McDonald Over Domestic Violence Arrest

SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — Former San Francisco 49er Ray McDonald was arrested for two separate charges in San Jose Monday morning, according to police.

Santa Clara police said they arrested the 8-year NFL veteran around 7 a.m. on domestic violence and child endangerment charges. He was apprehended at the home of recently retired Justin Smith on the 2200 block of Terra Nova Lane in San Jose.

Police were dispatched to McDonald’s home in Santa Clara at 3:48 a.m. after a 911 call was made. By the time police arrived, McDonald had already left. Police were told McDonald physically assaulted the woman involved while she was holding a baby.

Earlier this month, San Francisco 49ers linebacker Ahmad Brooks was accused of sexually assaulting a passed-out woman at former teammate Ray McDonald’s house in San Jose, according to a published report.

TMZ reported Wednesday that the same woman who accused McDonald of sexual assault also accuses Brooks of assaulting her that same night, and says there is video evidence to prove it.

ALSO READ: GOP Could Suffer Fallout If Supreme Court Rules To Eliminate Obamacare For Millions

Last August, San Jose police responded to reports of domestic violence at his home on Bentley Ridge Drive. McDonald was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence against his pregnant fiancée.

After he was accused, the 49ers cut ties with McDonald, citing a pattern of behavior by the defensive lineman. The Chicago Bears signed him to a one-year contract in March.

RAY McDONALD TIMELINE:
• March 16: McDonald Files Defamation Lawsuit Over Rape Allegations
• December 17: McDonald Accused Of Sexual Assault; Police Serve Warrant At His SJ Home
• November 11: McDonald Speaks Out After Charges Dropped
• November 10: Domestic Violence Charges Dropped
San Jose Police Investigated For Conflict Of Interest In Moonlighting For 49ers
• September 18: McDonald’s Fiancée Grabbed Handgun During Disturbance
• August 31: McDonald Arrested On Domestic Violence Charge

Weeks later, the Santa Clara County District Attorney’s office said it would not prosecute because both McDonald and his fiancée stated she struck him first and her injuries were consistent with being restrained.

“The People will not be able to convince twelve jurors unanimously and with proof beyond a reasonable doubt that McDonald did not act in self-defense,” read a memo from Supervising District Attorney Cindy Seeley Hendrickson to District Attorney Jeff Rosen. “Therefore, we cannot prove a crime occurred.”

“I knew what kind of guy I was and what kind of upbringing I had and that I respect women. I knew the truth would come out like I said that it would eventually come out,” McDonald said at the time.

The 30-year-old McDonald was selected as a third-round draft pick by the 49ers in 2007 and played eight seasons for the team, 49ers officials said.

Two other players at McDonald’s position of defensive tackle, Tony Jerod-Eddie and Tank Carradine, serve as backups for the team, the 49ers said.

Comments (7)