PITTSBURG (CBS SF) — A Pittsburg toddler was airlifted to a hospital after suffering a bite from a rattlesnake Tuesday evening, according to firefighters.

Emergency personnel were dispatched to an address on Rio Verde just before 8 p.m. to help a toddler that had been bitten by something in her backyard, according to Capt. Robert Marshall with the Contra Costa Fire Protection District.

READ MORE: Bay Area Bargain Shoppers Find Black Friday Is Not What It Used To Be

“At the initial call we didn’t know it was a rattlesnake,” Marshall said. It took a couple minutes before crews located the snake, caught it and contained it in a mason jar.

“We called a medical helicopter,” Marshall said. “They responded and transported the child to Children’s Hospital in Oakland.”

Rattlesnake venom can be fatal if they are not treated right away.

Details about the toddler’s condition were not immediately available.

READ MORE: Holiday Fair in Santa Clara Puts Focus on Local Crafts and Creators

Meanwhile in Folsom, a 4-year-old was bitten after stepping on a baby rattlesnake coiled on a bike trail. Within minutes, his ankle started to swell and turn purple as the venom spread.

“Mama Bear instinct in me decided to suck the venom out because that’s what apparently Bonanza does,” his mother said.

But emergency officials say that’s the wrong thing to do. Instead a snake bite should be treated like a basic wound — wash it and call 911.

They also warn everyone in snake prone areas, especially in a drought when snakes tend to go searching for water, to cut your grass to give them fewer places to hide.

MORE NEWS: COVID: Highly Contagious Omicron Variant Prompts New Travel Restrictions

TM and © Copyright 2015 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2015 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.