VALLEJO (CBS SF) — A man was critically burned from a house fire in Vallejo early Tuesday morning that reportedly started while he was working on his car.

Firefighters found flames that were spreading from the garage to the house around 12:30 a.m.

READ MORE: Kaiser Members Given Less Than Recommended Dose of Pfizer COVID Vaccine At Walnut Creek Facility

Sources tell KPIX 5 the fire was started by a man welding a leaking gas tank in that car. The fire spread, destroying the car and the garage.

Firefighters used a chain saw to cut open the roof to vent the flames and smoke.

They say sparks from the welding started the car fire which spread to the garage.

READ MORE: Massive Ash Cloud Turns Tonga Into Moonscape; Anxiety Mounts Among Bay Area Tongans

Firefighters say the man is lucky the car didn’t blow up.

He suffered second and third degree burns throughout his upper body.

Firefighters say a woman inside the house and some pets got out safely.

MORE NEWS: Timo Meier Becomes First San Jose Shark to Score 5 Goals in One Game

Aside from the garage, the house was also damaged from smoke and water, according to firefighters.