LIVERMORE (CBS SF) — A rash of attacks on fiber optic cables have happened in the Bay Area, causing disruptions with internet, phone and cable service.
The latest attack happened just Tuesday morning, and the FBI says it was intentional.READ MORE: Thieves Target License Plates in San Francisco; Rack Up Parking Tickets
Someone climbed down a manhole in the Livermore area and cut a massive fiber cable line.
This is the 11th time this has happened in the Bay Area in the last year.
The other lines were cut in Fremont, Berkeley, San Jose, Alamo and Walnut Creek.
The fiber optic lines transmit massive amounts of data.READ MORE: Fans Remember Betty White With Challenge To Fund Animal Shelters
Tuesday morning’s attack damaged cables owned by at least two companies.
That means the internet is slow, and cable service spotty for many wave customers.
“And that’s gonna slow down the internet for the rest of us so streaming Netflix, or Hulu tonight is gonna be rough until they get those cable lines connected,” Nerds On Call co-founder Ryan Eldridge said.
It’s not known how long it will take for the repairs to be made.MORE NEWS: Looking To Support Bay Area Shelters For the Betty White Challenge? Here Are A Few
The FBI is asking anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the areas listed below to contact them at 415-553-7400.
- July 6, 2014, 9:44 p.m. near 7th and Grayson St. in Berkeley
- July 6, 2014, 11:39 p.m. near Niles Canyon Blvd. and Mission Blvd. in Fremont
- July 7, 2014, 12:24 a.m. near Jones Road and Iron Horse Trail in Walnut Creek
- July 7, 2014, 12:51 a.m. near Niles Canyon Blvd. and Alameda Creek in Fremont
- July 7, 2014, 2:13 a.m. near Stockton Ave. and University Ave. in San Jose
- February 24, 2014, 11:30 p.m. near Niles Canyon Blvd. and Mission Blvd. in Fremont
- February 24, 2014, 11:30 p.m. near Niles Canyon Blvd. and Alameda Creek in Fremont
- June 8, 2015, 11:00 p.m. near Danville Blvd. and Rudgear Road in Alamo
- June 8, 2015, 11:40 p.m. near Overacker Ave and Mowry Ave in Fremont
- June 9, 2015, 1:38 p.m. near Jones Road and Parkside Dr. in Walnut Creek