SAN MATEO (CBS SF) — A suspect is in custody after a machete attack Wednesday night that left one man with a serious wound to the neck, San Mateo police said Thursday.

Officers called to a reported stabbing at North Fremont Street and Tilton Avenue at 11:25 p.m. on Wednesday found a 25-year-old man with a serious neck wound, police said.

READ MORE: Hollywood Movie, TV Workers Reach Deal With Producers to Avert Strike

He was taken to a hospital and is currently in stable condition.

A witness told police that the victim had been talking with an acquaintance when the two began to argue.

READ MORE: COVID Vaccination Count in San Mateo County Revised Down Due to Data Error

The suspect, identified by police as Gregorio Roque, a 65-year-old San Mateo resident, allegedly brandished a machete and then attacked the victim with it before fleeing the scene on foot.

Roque was located in the first block of North Fremont Street shortly after the attack and arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. The machete was also located.

There are no other suspects outstanding, police said.

MORE NEWS: Proposed I-880 Overpass, Street Extension in San Jose Draws NIMBY Resistance

© Copyright 2015 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.