(CBS SF) — Three Bay Area universities are among the best in the world, according to a new ranking.
Stanford is number two while UC Berkeley is fourth. UC San Francisco treads behind to claim the 18th spot.READ MORE: COVID Vaccine: San Francisco Opens Eligibility to All Residents Age 16 and Up
Harvard came in first for the 13th year while MIT placed third and Columbia University in New York eighth.READ MORE: UPDATE: Paul Flores, Suspect In Cal Poly Student Kristin Smart's 1996 Disappearance Arrested
The Center for World-Class universities in Shanghai took half a dozen factors into account including alumni and staff winning prestigious awards and the number of articles published in nature and science journals.
Top 200 universities in five broad subject fields and in five selected subject fields are listed, where the best five universities are:MORE NEWS: COVID: 4/20 Celebration At Hippie Hill In Golden Gate Park Canceled For 2nd Year In A Row
- Natural Sciences and Mathematics – Berkeley, Harvard, Princeton, Stanford and Caltech
- Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences – MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, UIUC and UT Austin
- Life and Agriculture Sciences – Harvard, Cambridge, Stanford, MIT and UC San Francisco
- Clinical Medicine and Pharmacy – Harvard, UC San Francisco, Washington (Seattle), Johns Hopkins and Stanford
- Social Sciences – Harvard, Chicago, MIT, Columbia and Berkeley
- Mathematics – Princeton, Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, Pierre & Marie Curie
- Physics – Berkeley, Princeton, Harvard, MIT and Caltech
- Chemistry – Berkeley, Harvard, Stanford, Caltech and Northwestern (Evanston)
- Computer Science – Stanford, MIT, Berkeley, Harvard and Princeton
- Economics/Business – Harvard, Chicago, MIT, Berkeley and Columbia
The complete lists and detailed methodologies can be found at the Academic Ranking of World Universities website.