CONCORD (KCBS) — Authorities say it looks like the death of Concord City Attorney Mark was a suicide.
Coon died Tuesday morning after he apparently jumped from the third floor of a parking garage in downtown Walnut Creek.READ MORE: UPDATE: Phish Fan Injured After Being Fallen on at Chase Center Concert Describes Brush with Death
Friends and colleagues say they can’t understand why Coon might commit suicide saying he hadn’t indicated he was in distress.
Tuesday’s Concord City Council meeting was canceled and grief counselors spent the day speaking with city employees.READ MORE: San Francisco, Tourism Industry Offer Cash Rewards To Stop Auto Burglary Fencing Operations
Coon has had various jobs with the city since 2002 and he was named City Attorney in 2012.
Over 36,000 Americans died in motor vehicle accidents in 2010, while nearly 5,000 more – nearly 38,400 – died by suicide, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Here are some of the warning signs of suicide:
- Talking about wanting to die or to kill oneself.
- Looking for a way to kill oneself, such as searching online or buying a gun.
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no reason to live.
- Talking about feeling trapped or in unbearable pain.
- Talking about being a burden to others.
- Increasing the use of alcohol or drugs.
- Acting anxious or agitated; behaving recklessly.
- Sleeping too little or too much.
- Withdrawing or feeling isolated.
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge.
- Displaying extreme mood swings.
If you or someone you know is thinking about suicide, contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) to be connected to a skilled, trained counselor at a crisis center in your area, anytime 24/7 or locally, go to http://www.SFsuicide.org or call (415) 781-0500.