SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — Police in San Francisco on Tuesday were investigating a shooting involving a security guard and an alleged shoplifter outside of the Burlington Coat Factory store at 5th and Howard, according to authorities.

While SFPD initially did not have any information on the incident, there were reports on social media regarding a shooting at the intersection of 5th and Howard shortly before 3 p.m.

READ MORE: Supply Chain Crisis: Shipping Industry Leaders Meet In San Francisco, Warn Backlog To Stretch Long Past Holidays

At around the same time, the SFMTA was reporting that a non-Muni collision at the intersection was causing delays and could lead to some lines being rerouted.

Witness Danny McMillian was near the scene of the shooting when it happened.

“I heard three gunshots and then I heard a lady screaming,” said McMillian. “And then about three to five minutes later, a bunch of cop cars.”

KPIX 5 reporter Joe Vazquez posted a photo from the scene of the shooting on Twitter shortly before 4 p.m.

Crime scene investigators could be seen placing evidence markers in the area in front of the store that was cordoned off with police tape.

READ MORE: UPDATE: All Lanes of Westbound I-580 In Oakland Reopen Following Police Activity

Police later confirmed that officers were called at about 2:37 p.m. regarding the shooting. Upon arrival, they found that a security guard at the Burlington Coat Factory located at the intersection had shot an alleged shoplifter three times.

“The security guard here that’s employed by Burlington Coat Factory stopped the subject for theft,” said SFPD Lt. William Escobar. “A physical confrontation occurred. And during the struggle, the security guard did fire rounds at the suspect.”

Authorities said the person shot, a 32-year-old male, had been shot three times in his lower extremities.

Police said the man was in critical but stable condition with non-life threatening injuries.

When asked if he saw the security guard, McMillian replied, “Yeah, I recognized him. I just saw him yesterday.  He was handcuffed and put into the car.”

MORE NEWS: Big Storm Leaves San Francisco Bay Waters Strewn With Debris