ANTIOCH (CBS SF) — An officer was assaulted and shot in the head with a BB gun near Deerfield in Antioch Monday evening, triggering a tense SWAT standoff that ended hours later with the suspect’s surrender, authorities said.

Antioch police said a 32-year-old man was detained after a five-hour standoff inside a relative’s home ended just before 1 a.m. Tuesday with his arrest without incident. He was not identified and has been booked into the Contra Costa County Jail. No other details were immediately available early Tuesday.

Around 7:45 p.m. Monday, police and emergency crews responded to a report of a neighbor dispute at a home in the 4500 block of Deerfield, just west of Fawn Hill Way, according to Antioch Police Chief Tammany Brooks.

When officers arrived, they made contact with a suspect who brandished a weapon and assaulted the officer before running back inside the house. Sgt. Dee Williams said in an early morning press release: “While on scene, a 32-year-old male resident, shot one of the responding officers, striking him in the head. The officer was rushed to an area hospital, where he was treated and later released with minor injuries.”

Antioch police later clarified the officer was shot with a BB gun.

Witnesses and residents of the area took to social media to describe the situation.

Dozens of patrol cars and some SWAT vehicles had cordoned off the neighborhood. According to Hill, around eight to 10 homes in the area of the standoff were evacuated and homes in the general area were issued shelter-in-place orders.

The officer was transported to John Muir Concord for treatment and has been treated and released, Hill said.


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s