VALLEJO (CBS SF) — Two people were hospitalized Friday in what appears to be a case of carbon monoxide poisoning at a Vallejo apartment, authorities said.

Firefighters responded at about 10:30 a.m. to a report of two unconscious people at two-story Victorian building on the 900 block of Georgia St., the Vallejo Fire Department said.

A 24-year-old man was in severe respiratory distress on a second-floor landing but he managed to call 911 before he fell unconscious, Vallejo firefighter and paramedic Aaron Klauber said.

Firefighters also found a 21-year-old woman on the second-floor who also was suffering from life-threatening respiratory distress. Both were moved onto the porch within a minute of the fire department’s arrival around 10:30 a.m. and taken to a hospital where they were in serious condition, Klauber said.

The carbon monoxide monitor in the residence was not turning on, and a neighbor reported hearing a monitor’s chirping sound the night before, Klauber said.

PG&E crews at the scene said they suspect a wall heater malfunctioned, Klauber said.

Two or three other residents of the six-unit converted Victorian house also were evacuated, and four firefighters received supplemental oxygen as a precaution, Klauber said.

Fire officials said the near fatal poisoning is a reminder to residents to make sure smoke detectors and carbon monoxide monitors are tested and functioning properly.

 

© Copyright 2019 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News Service contributed to this report.

Comments