WALNUT CREEK (CBS SF) — A 23-year-old man was fatally shot by officers in Walnut Creek after he charged at them with a pry bar Sunday following multiple reports of disturbances, police announced in a press release early Monday morning.

The shooting occurred near the area of Arlene Lane and Orchard Lane. Police received an initial call at 4:41 p.m. Sunday from a grandmother who said her grandson came into her room and threatened her at a home on Sandra Court. The dispatcher could hear a man yelling in the background during the call, police said.

READ MORE: COVID Reopening: California Lifts Capacity Limits On Houses Of Worship In Wake Of Supreme Court Ruling

About a minute later, police received a call from a neighbor who said he heard an argument and possibly a gunshot nearby.

At 4:47 p.m., police received another call from a second resident of the home from which the disturbance was occurring. She reported that her son was being violent and threatened her with a metal pole, cautioning that he had mental health issues and would be aggressive with police.

The woman said her son had broken a glass window and wielded a metal pole with a pointed end, according to police.

Police arrived to the area at 4:52 p.m., shortly before another call was placed to WCPD dispatch from another caller who reported that a man with a red bandana over his head and face pounded on his door, wielding a “giant crow bar.”

Officers located the man in question walking down Arlene Road. Police said they gave him “multiple commands” and ordered him to drop the pry bar before he began charging at officers with the bar in hand.

One officer shot multiple non-lethal kinetic energy “bean bag” rounds at the man, but he continued to run toward officers. Two officers then shot the man with their handguns. The man fell to the ground.

Officers subdued him and tried to perform life saving measures, police said. The man was transported to John Muir hospital, where he later died of his injuries. Police said the Coroner’s office will release the man’s name at a later date.

READ MORE: Inmate At Women’s Prison Part of Duo’s $100,000 COVID Fund Fraud

The full WCPD press release can be read in the tweet below:

Neighbors in the area told KPIX 5 that the man has struggled with mental illness for years. They said though he sometimes has outbursts, his parents constantly told neighbors not to worry about him.

“The parents have said, ‘Be aware that our son has a mental condition and don’t be afraid,'” said Eldon Hawksworth.

“He’s amazing,” said Lisa Angus through tears. “I’ve known him since he was four. He’s got a heart of gold and he’s just an amazing kid.”

Neighbors said the man’s parents were by his side at the hospital.

“They’re at the hospital with him. We don’t know much more than that. We just know that they’re there,” said Jenny Schneider.

MORE NEWS: Sonoma County DA Recuses Office From Dominic Foppoli Sexual Assault Probe After Deputy DA's Allegation

WCPD said the five officers who were on the scene will be put on paid administrative leave pending the conclusion of an investigation by the Contra Costa County District Attorney’s Office and WCPD. Police said they will release footage from the officers’ body worn cameras at a later date.