SANTA ROSA (CBS SF) — A BBQ on an outdoor deck reportedly sparked a late night fire and damaged a Santa Rosa house Wednesday night, local fire officials said.
Firefighters responded around 9 p.m. to the blaze on Hershey Court, a small cul-de-sac off of Marlow Road, and arrived to find the exterior deck and fence burning.READ MORE: COVID Lockdown Stress Leads to Spike in Opioid Overdose Deaths
Crews entered the home and confirmed that the family living there had evacuated safely. The fire damaged the left rear corner of the home and extended into the attic, causing an estimated $40,000 in damage overall, according to the fire department.READ MORE: Bay Area Officials Ponder Easing Indoor Mask Requirements in Wake of New CDC Guidance
Investigators determined a BBQ on the deck on the left side of the home was used just prior to the fire, and hot embers sparked the flames that extended into the structure.MORE NEWS: UPDATE: Bear Climbs Down From Tree Near Downtown San Anselmo Following Shelter-in-Place
The residents are staying with other family members living locally, fire officials said.