(CBS NEWS) – Alec Baldwin says he is finished with Twitter for good. The “30 Rock” actor deleted his account last week after unleashing an expletive-filled rant directed at a Daily Mail reporter, and has now vowed not to go back to the social media site.
When asked by Vanity Fair if he’ll ever tweet again, Baldwin responded, “Never.”
“I went to Jimmy Gandolfini’s funeral, and when I was there I realized Jimmy Gandolfini didn’t have Twitter. Jimmy Gandolfini was so beloved as a person, and he was so admired as an actor, and he didn’t give a [expletive] about social media,” he said.
“I really learned a lesson at the funeral,” Baldwin added. “I said to myself, ‘This is all a waste of time.’ Meaning it’s fun sometimes, but less and less, and less. It’s just another chink in your armor for people to come and kill you. I stopped and said to myself, I’m going to try where I just don’t do this anymore.”
Last week’s Twitter rant came after the Daily Mail published a report accusing Baldwin’s wife, Hilaria, of tweeting during Gandolfini’s funeral service in New York.
Baldwin will soon be back on the big screen in the Woody Allen film “Blue Jasmine,” arriving in theaters July 26.
Read more at CBSNews.com
(Copyright 2013 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)