OAKLAND (KCBS) – Transportation officials say the work to open the new Bay Bridge eastern span was progressing just as it should, as crews have been working nonstop since the last cars passed through the toll plaza Wednesday.
Friday morning much of the roadway had already been prepared for re-paving. Demolition work was also well underway on the 1,000 ft.-long section of the westbound bridge that has to be removed.
Watch: KPIX 5 Tour Of New Bay Bridge
“Friday is an important day. I think that, you know, everything is on schedule now,” said Bay Area Toll Authority spokesman John Goodwin. “I would imagine that by Friday evening we’ll have a better sense of where we are relative to the schedule.”
- Bay Bridge Closure Survival Guide
- Current KCBS Traffic Conditions
- ‘Very Careful Thought’ Needed In Removing Old Bay Bridge
- BART, AC Transit, Muni Boosting Service For Bay Bridge Closure
- Increased Ferry Service Available For Bay Bridge Closure
“But it looks like there may be an opportunity to get slightly ahead of schedule,” he speculated on Thursday.