CONCORD (CBS SF) – The City of Concord Tuesday night approved one of the strictest daytime curfew laws in the Bay Area, unanimously passing a law making it illegal for any child to be in public during normal school hours.

According to city officials, the purpose of the curfew is to lessen daytime crime and stop rampant truancy.

According to the City of Concord, during the first offense, the police would issue a warning citation, mailing the parent(s) a notification that the minor has been found in violation of the curfew. The parent(s) will then be required to sign and return the notification, including any explanation of an applicable ordinance exception.

The daytime curfew would function like a traffic ticket; $100 for the first offense, $200 for the second, and $500 for the third. Failure to appear could result in a bench warrant.

Ten other Bay Area cities have relatively new day time curfews law, most which cite the students and generate a court appearance. But Concord’s law takes it a step beyond, in that parents could be cited as well.

The new law will exempt home-schooled students who carry an identification card.

Critics have said the new policy unfairly targets the poor and opens the door for racial profiling.  But city leaders said new curfew is constitutional and legally defensible.

The curfew takes affect in the last week of August, just in time for the new school year.

Comments (11)
  1. KathyS says:

Someone please tell me how such a policy, targets the poor? All school age children, regardless of family background, income, race, religion and so on, are supposed to be in school, unless homeschooled as mentioned? And even then, they are supposed to be at home, being schooled during school hours. I’d like to see this kind of policy here where, I live during the school year.

1. John S says:

As a homeschooling parent of 5 children (1 now an Army officer and two more enroute to college in a few weeks) I can say that while I sympathize with the community’s desire to fight truancy, I do think that statements like your cause me worry. One of the great advantages of homeschooling is that we are NOT tied to the standard school year or day (at least there is no good reason to insist we stay so tied). We have frequently homeschooled at times when institutional school is not in session – for instance we only take short summer breaks – and are often able to go out when “normal” school is in session. I for one expect that a rational policy would basically stay out of our way since we do not contribute to the problem being addressed.

1. KathyS says:

Sorry to disappoint you JohnS, but all three of my children were homeschooled and so are my two grandchildren. Like myself and my husband, who is a retired Naval Officer, my daughter is following the same system that we used. Which is quite simple. During the day, five days a week, all year round, our children were at home during the day, or at the home of another homeschooling family that was part of our team, while their peers who attended public/private schools. This was done not only to be fair to our own children, but also to their peers. The schedule also allowed our children to take part in afterschool activities with their friends, as well as keeping our evenings free for family time.

It’s homeschooling parents who do not keep a set disciplined schedule for their children, that allow them to do as they please during the day, that gives homeschooling a black eye in many cases. One of my current neighbors included. And these children are the worst of the lot, but an exception to the rule at the same time. I blame the parents, not necessarily the children here. Poor parenting, is poor parenting, regardless. Which is more then likely the reason why the city/area in this article was forced to do as they have done.

As for where my three are now, our oldest is a Computer Networkking Engineer, working/teaching at MIT. Our son who was labled learning disabled by the publc system, is now attending Penn State as a full time student, working on a business degree. Last bu not least, our youngest is a Forensic Medical Pathologist.

I will not claim that my two daughters benefited from homeschooling anymore then the would have had they attended public schools, but it did make a HUGE difference in our son. I encourage all parents to do whatever it takes to educate your children. Today’s public school systems are more interested in test scores, then teaching your children what is really important. Another sign of how our country is in such a sad state of decline.

2. asd says:

so now it costs you 100$ to pull your son from school for a day and catch a ball game or what?

must be some hella rampant daytime juvenile crime there.

1. Al says:

Tell me you were just kidding, and that you’;re not really that moronic. Parents have the right to keep the child out of school, just as they have the right to write excuse notes. Truancy includes the provision that the child is NOT under parental supervision at the time. You skipped a lot of school yourself….DIDN’T YOU?

3. Al says:

UH-OH! Sorry gang, but the old “in-case-of-emergency-play-race-card” tactic isn’t QUITE as all-powerful as it used to be. If you’re saying that “P.O.E.”s (Persons of Oppressed Ethnicity) are just more likley to skip school, well that that’s their own fault….ISN’T IT? And is it REALLY so evil and heartless of the community to want to keep them inschool and to further their free education? Don’t you feel that P.O.E.’s deserve an education? Gee, those ‘racial critics’ are starting to sound pretty racist themselves!

1. KathyS says:

Like you, I’m tired of hearing people use that crutch as an excuse. A public education in this country, is still FREE. NO COST. Even a child who attends the worst schools in the system, will get a better education then the child who skips school, hangs on the street and does whatever instead. Then they and their parents expect the rest of us to support them and their brood.
      It’s a shame that a person is supposed to have a liscense to have a dog, but a person who doesn’t have an ounce of common sense when it comes to parenting and in most cases, are to lazy to even take care of them selves, are allowed to have as many children as they want, at the taxpayers expense and the let those same children down, giving them no real future so they become just like their parents, just so the parents can collect a HANDOUT from Uncle Sam, each month. As someone once said “Poverty Breeds Poverty.” The cycle must be broken, and the best way to do that is through education.

1. Al says:

Thanks for the support, Kathy. By the way, I’m a teacher, so naturally this has special importance to me. Bye!

2. 2goldenwings says:

you know, I was at that meeting. and there was a reference to lower income/race issues for a moment. You could tell because though maybe not taken into record, some people assume race. It of course is not at hand an issue. BUT, lower income may or may not play a role, whether parents are “doing their job’ or not…
      The council was very juvenille in the choice of fining. If they were really, truly concerned with student and comminity welfare, they would CREATE A JOB by putting someone in charge of handling small fees, and enforcing some HEAVY community service with parents at the student(s) side…

4. 2goldenwings says:

This is an inappropriate set of consquences to a inappropriate group of people. You don’t take people just to fine them a bunch of money they don’t necessarily have. Parents can know where their children are if they would stay at home to educate and take care of them themselves. If the entire community really cared about these children, the consequence would be community service with the parent(s) by the child(rens) side(s). Children do belong in an educational environment but NOT an institutionalized one. The (school) districts appreciate taxpayer money and the guy or gal at the top get the most pay. The teachers miss out on much family time with their own children and for little pay. That is, the end result of suffocating our classrooms with an overabundance of students and not enough teachers. I agree with the city for taking a leadership role and I do respect their efforts. What I have NO respect for is how they target a person’s wallet. This is a very disgusting display describing a lack of true compassion and desire to better our children who need a better role model in this city. Not a good example for more difficult and troubled cities.

5. 2goldenwings says:

By the way, I am speaking as I was once a teacher. So, I know how little time I had for my own family and how much of my personal money was given to my “classroom”.